Pheromone Girl Grows Up

Once upon a time...

10.05.2009

Cleaning house


I love a clean house, I hate to clean. The disparity between the two items is downright comical at times.

I remember being on my own in the world for the first time. I moved into a little apartment in town that was hardly 400 square feet and included a claw foot tub, hot water pipes everywhere due to the steam heat, and three adorable cats named Daquiri, Althea and Escher.

Dak was a bright orange, 15 pounds of pure muscle and would shed like there's no tomorrow. Thea was a seal point siamese with the attitude of cleopatra and a constant hunger for the mice that invaded my kitchen. She would not, however, eat the cockroaches, no matter how often I begged. Escher was a kitten that got into no end of trouble - frequently screeching when the heat in the steam radiators got to be too much and she didn't want to give up her cozy spot.

I worked at a job that took lots of hours - maybe 50 a week (If only I'd known that some day I'd work 70-80, I would have enjoyed this easy schedule) and I'd spend my Saturday cleaning the apartment. I didn't have a vaccuum so I'd borrow the manager's and vacuum her place as thanks. It took me all of 7 minutes to do both teeny apartments. Then, scrubbing kitchen, bathroom, wiping down the walls to try to stay ahead of the lovely orange nicotine buildup that would bleed through the walls - and be added to by Ryan - was a full afternoon's work.

We had time to goof off, too. We'd watch movies we rented - strange movies like A Clockwork Orange, Once Bitten, Superman. We called it good-bad movie night and it lasts today. We ordered pepperoni pizza from the place next door when they had a buy one get one deal going and would have 4 lovely boxes of cold, congealing, divine food that could feed us for almost a week. Winchells donuts were a staple because Ryan worked there at night, frying up the next day's breakfast for the maple bar lovers of NE Portland.

I took care of my elderly neighbor lady, Mrs. Peetes, as she recovered from a stroke. Breakfast and dinner, every day, were made for her out of foods that I couldn't imagine being able to afford. Pot roast. Meat loaf. Stuffed cabbage. Then, after not so much as tasting a bite, I'd go home to leftover Kraft dinner. At the time, it didn't bother me at all. I was content. I lived on processed food and hot tea.

I boxed a bunch of stuff this weekend. The space in which I live seems larger (amazing, since it's barely 900 square feet and full of people), there's more room to move, projects I have put off for months were attacked. After all, with people coming through my place, I have to have it at a certain level. Right?

So in cleaning, I was reminded of lazy Saturday afternoons with 3 cats rubbing against my feet, begging me to come sit with them so they could warm my lap while I read. Now, I don't have cats, but a dog and 2 kids that would love a bit of my attention. Maybe a bad movie.

I wonder, can you buy spare time at the store? I seem to continually run out of it.

13 comments:

Riot Kitty said...

I loved Winchell's! I was really sad when they folded.

Maude Lynn said...

Pick me up a Coke and some spare time, too, while you're out!

Cheffie-Mom said...

Oh, how I wish I could buy spare time at the store!! LOL!!

enJOY your day!!

ExtraO said...

I also LOVE a clean house, but HATE to clean. I'm thinking a maid is the answer to that dilemma.

Fireblossom said...

I want to engage a maid service, but A) I can't afford it, and B) I would have to clean the house first before the maid saw how poets keep house!

Fireblossom said...

...forgot to say, I really enjoyed this post! :-)

Scarlet said...

I loved going back in time with you and learning about your life with the cats and the good/bad movies. Makes me want to rent an apartment, adopt three cats and add a few cool flicks to my Netflix queue.

Hope your week is full of endless time!

Unknown said...

Your cats sounded fun, I know what that is like. Spare time? maybe I can find some somewhere around, nope work took it all!

G. B. Miller said...

Nice.

Sometimes the most mundane stuff triggers the fondest of memories.

Anonymous said...

I also loved hearing about those days gone by. You write in a really appealing way and I really enjoyed this piece.

Shionge said...

Yoooohooooo....I love a clean house too and yep...hate it just as much hahahah ;) So now what I do is, I tell myself I need a workout and I give my house a good 'wipeout' kekeke..

LL Cool Joe said...

I never notice just how dirty this house it until I've been away on holiday and then come back and it's quite a shock.

Nice post. :)

Fireblossom said...

Pssssst. There is something for Your Royal Girlness at Word Garden. ;-)

Post a Comment