Pheromone Girl Grows Up

Once upon a time...

All summer long, I had lots of opportunities to see my breath in the cold morning air. Yes, I said summer. My kids liked the air conditioning turned down to "meat locker" and my room was the coldest. I'd wake up, knowing it was already 70 degrees outside, and hide under stacks of covers, waiting for my nose to defrost. I could see my breath.

When I was a kid, I loved days that were cold enough to see your breath. I'd be the first one out the door hustling up a game of neighborhood football (someone always got hurt, it was always a contact sport - no wimpy flags played on 67th and Klickitat) and the occasional tree climbing expedition.

When my neighbor's grand kids would come to visit from the country, we'd play kick the can and Red Rover. I'd have stinging red indian burns on my arms for days. Bruised knees. Life was really simple back then. Rub a little vaseline on before you played and you were ready for anything.



As a grown up, there are different things that make me feel giddy in the morning. The smell of coffee brewing. A warm dog at my feet when I finally have time to sit down and write a few lines. Sleeping in and waking up smiling, knowing the to-do list isn't going to kill me. Finally. That life is shifting again, back into a world where everything isn't always done at 100 miles per hour. There will be time for tea.

Autumn is quickly turning to winter and there have been two mornings this week when I could see my breath when I walked outside. I even had to scrape ice off the windshield one day. Does it get any better than this?

8 comments:

Scarlet said...

I love those cool mornings when I can wear my boots and jacket and see my breath. It really happens in my town, but it happens.

PS - I love red rover! We should play it NOW!! :)

Riot Kitty said...

I like cooler weather but hate scraping ice off the car. Even with gloves it feels like my hands will never recover!

Fireblossom said...

67th and what?!? Speak Engrish, woman!

I love crisp weather. And I love your little blue jay!

G. B. Miller said...

Fantastic pic of the bird's breath.

I'm not enjoying the cold mornings as much now then when I was younger.

Sometimes though, in the evening after pulling into the driveway, getting out but before going iside, the chilly evening is the perfet antidote to a previously crappy day. Kind of bathes the soul and refreshes the spirit, so as to better face the tribulations of the evening.

Shionge said...

I would love to experience some of your cold weather one more time when I visit US of A :D

Anonymous said...

If you can make me feel nostalgic about the cold, you must be doing something right!

G-Man said...

She's Alive...SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!
Cooler weather must slow you down...:p

Darth Weasel said...

crisp, cool days rule!

Post a Comment