Pheromone Girl Grows Up

Once upon a time...

10.20.2009

Another 24 hours


I almost died of boredom once. I think that part of that sentence that is funny is the word "once". Most people I know create busyness to keep from being bored. Me? I would sell my firstborn for a 24 hour stretch with nothing on my to do list.

OK, maybe I wouldn't sell her, just rent her to a circus or something. She does this partial squid dance that should bring in some dough.

She told me recently that one of her friends is getting married at 19. Boy, doesn't that bring back some odd memories. I think her best quality of all is her ability to be random. I just don't know where she gets that from.

So, here I sit, pretending I don't need to be getting ready for work, excited and completely nervous about getting keys to a new house today. My soon-to-be-former landlord is unhappy that I gave notice and won't return messages. Nice. I'm not sure there have been many moments in my life where I completely and utterly disliked someone's behavior so much. Jerk. The last realtor through the house last night left it unlocked, too. How lovely is that? Coming home to a neighborhood full of homeless people and a wide open house. It is so time to do this. Yes, I feel a bit overwhelmed with the saying hello to a new bedroom, saying goodbye to almost a year worth of memories, although very few are happy ones on some level.

So, now I get to pack up, clean, unpack, clean some more and make sure that there is a place for everything and everything's in its place. I had a moment last night where I wondered what I'm going to do with all this space (as opposed to my former dilemma of what will I do with all this stuff?) I might just leave some rooms empty for the time being. Having lived in an old home with no disposal, no dishwasher and a fan that doesn't work, my kitchen will need to be run through the dishwasher. All of it. Everything. Even things I normally hand wash are getting a bath. I'll make homemade bread again, I'll have room. Dinner parties will again be an option.

I will not be sharing one lone bathroom with 2 teenagers. A bathroom that stays so damp that I have to wash towels twice a week or they smell musty. How wasteful. Maybe the new washer will actually get that lingering soapy feel out of my blue jeans. I'm not fond of foaming in the rain.

If I had an extra 24 hours this week, I'd feel more capable of the impending move. More content with the timing of everything. More able to call 4 utilities and the cable company before noon, pick up a certified check, sign my life away for 24 months. Or maybe I wouldn't and I'm just fooling myself.

I wonder where my new favorite spot will be?

15 comments:

G-Man said...

Your 'alone' spot will be your favorite....

I'm very happy for you Rachel..*smile*

G-Man said...

And I almost forgot....BINGO!!!!!!!

Riot Kitty said...

Screw the landlord. Well, not literally, but you get the picture. He had no consideration for you, and he's unhappy you're moving? Idiot.

Darth Weasel said...

RK hit the head right on the nail (I like to mix things up, see) Relationships are two way, and when one party unilaterally starts misbehaving in a relationship, the other can see the rules change to where things they once would not have done now are not only acceptable, they might not be going far enough.

Not that I advocate cruelty or viciousness, but there comes a time...wait, am I talking about you or me?

Conragt on the new place. Let us know if you need help moving.

Fireblossom said...

Moving is hugely stressful, but once the dust begins to settle, I think it's a blast to be in a new home. You get to DECIDE where everything goes, rather than it simply being there cos it always has been. And it's all YOURS!!! :-) Yay, you! ..and sean and sara and ezzie!

Unknown said...

Yea! The time has come and the land lord can go one being what ever he is. He is going to sell in this market???
Ha.
Good luck to you.

Tall Kay said...

Guess what? It will all get done! And you will look around and wonder how in the world that happened! That's how it was for me when I moved after 15 years in the same house. Keep it simple...one box at a time...and before you know it, you'll be soakin' in the hot tub! How exciting!

G. B. Miller said...

I can see this SpongeBob quote floating above your head for the next day or so.

"I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready!"

ExtraO said...

Good luck with the move... I know it can all seem overwhelming at times, but it'll get done.

Scarlet said...

Where have I been?? I had no idea all this was coming together so quickly! Yay for you...and I'm with RK on the landlord bit.

Cheffie-Mom said...

Congrats on the new house!! Homemade bread -- YUMMY!!

Maude Lynn said...

Moving is horribly stressful. Like Tall Kay said, one box at a time. And, think of all the time you'll have to clean and unpack while you're waiting for the cable guy to finally show up!

Granny Annie said...

You will never find that favortie spot until you permit yourself some time to sit down. You remind me of times gone by and believe me, the day will come when you can actually breathe.

Anonymous said...

I am a moron. I bookmarked your posting weeks back rather than your blog itself - then wondered why you'd not updated in weeks.

At least I realised that in time for the 'favourite spot' ponderer!

Shionge said...

Sorry been away from here far too long and great to catch up and knowing that you are moving to a place of you own.

Can't wait to see your new place :D

Post a Comment